Cultural heritage

History

Algueña: from the Arabic al-gânija, which means “the rich, the opulent”, from the Arab base gni “to be rich, to enrich”. It is a name given by the Arabs, who were the most profitable in the Valley where the ancient Ibero-Roman Cañada to Jumilla.

The oldest reference of the toponym Algueña, appears in a manuscript of Alcoy of 1470, although it is necessary to give primacy to the alcoholic date of 1361, in which appears the spelling “Field of Alhenya”.

From the sixteenth century, the presence of Moorish landowners, dedicated to the tilling of these lands, is confirmed. There is also evidence that from time immemorial, neighbors of Novelda, came in search of pastures and firewood to make coal.

In 1738, the Parish Church was built, under the invocation of the Saints of the Stone “Abdón and Senén”, patrons of the Villa.

In 1934, Algueña is constituted as an independent municipality, counting on the hamlet of La Solana.

At present, Algueña is twinned with the Circumscription of Doganella di Ninfa, dependent on the Italian municipalities of Sermoneta and Cisterna di Latina. This commitment was initialed on May 1, 2004.

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares